Contact Us Anytime!

35 Mitchell Boulevard, Suite 9B
San Rafael, CA 94903

Telephone: 415-444-0571
Fax: 415-444-0692

Office Hours:
Monday – Friday
11 a.m. – 6 p.m
Appointments 7 Days a Week

School License No:

Permit Requirements

To receive a permit, you must:

Be at least 15-1/2 years of age, but under 18 years of age.

Submitted a completed DMV application form (DL44).

Provide your true full name. (First, Middle, Last)
Note: To obtain a DL 44 or DL 44C form, call DMV’s Automated Telephone Service at 1-800-777-0133 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week) to have a form mailed to you OR visit your local DMV office to pick one up.

Have both Parents’ or Guardians’ signatures on the application form.

Present an acceptable birth date/legal presence document such as an official
birth certificate
, current passport, or DMV ID card.
Provide your social security number on the DL44 application form. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration.

Pay the required $35 application fee.

Pass an eye exam. Have your picture taken.

Give a thumb print.

Written Permit Test (Pass a traffic laws and road signs test). If you are between 15-1/2 and 17-1/2, provide proof that you have met one of the following requirements:

  • Completed Driver Education (Certificate of Completion)
  • Pre Enrollment in Driving School is not required (ref: memo OLIN 2010-03)


  • Completed Driver Education & taking Driver Training (Issued Student Driving License)


If you fail the test, you must wait one week before taking it again. This will give you time to study.


The provisional permit is not valid until you start your behind-the-wheel driver training with a licensed instructor or reach the age of 17 ½.



You must practice with a parent, guardian, spouse, or an adult 25 years of age or older, who has a valid California driver license. The person must be close enough to take control of the vehicle at any time. A provisional permit does not let you drive alone – not even to a DMV office to take a driving test. If you have a permit that allows you to drive a motorcycle or moped, you cannot carry passengers and you must ride during the day light hours only and not on the freeway.